Available between: —
Six day-hikes out of Haines Junction combine the best of two worlds: We get into great back country without having to carry heavy backpacks since we set up base camp in rustic yet clean and cozy cabins just outside the park. Day trips of 3 to 8 hours* will bring us into unrivalled wilderness. The trails will lead us from the boreal forest to the alpine. We will have ample opportunity to observe nature, take pictures and enjoy spectacular vistas. While visiting a traditional fishing camp, you will experience the local First Nation’s history of the region.
*of course we consider the wishes and abilities of the participants in planning the routes.
Day 1: Whitehorse
We are meeting in the afternoon for trip preparation and a visit to the Beringia Interpretive Center. Here you’ll get an insight into our heritage as we introduce you to the rich history of the region. Overnight in your downtown hotel.
Day 2: Haines Junction
We will meet in the morning and leave the city westwards on the Alaska Highway. After a drive of 2 hours we will arrive in Haines Junction where we will spend the afternoon visiting the National Park Center and head out for an interpretive two hour hike along the Dezadeash River.
Day 3 to 5: Day hikes out of Haines Junction
We are heading out for day hikes (4-6 hours) based out of Haines Junction. We will have time to explore, observe and study nature. In addition, one afternoon we will visit Klukshu village, a traditional First Nation fishing village, and learn about their cultural heritage. Optional sight seeing flights out of Haines Junction or Silver City over the St. Elias Mountains and their extensive ice fields are possible.
Day 6: Explore around Kluane Lake
We will drive north to explore the northern part of the National Park. Here we start a full day hike (6 hours) into spectacular mountains. A highlight of the trip! Drive back to Haines Junction.
Day 7: One last hiking day and drive back to Whitehorse
We venture off to one last day of hiking before it is time to return to Whitehorse. Time permitting we may visit the Yukon Wildlife Preserve to get close up with some of the native mega fauna. Overnight in a downtown hotel.
Day 8: Whitehorse
You transfer to the airport for your flight home or you continue your own journey.
The fine print
Things to know
Changes in the itinerary due to weather and trail conditions are a possibility. You will be required to sign a release of liability and waiver of claims prior to the trip
Hiking in Kluane National Park with Taiga Journeys:
- Experienced local guide
- back country hiking in one of the last true wilderness areas left on the planet.
- undisturbed nature, solitude.
- easy access to boreal forest, alpine slopes and mountain vistas.
- observation of wildlife.
- study of plants and their adaptation to the environment.
- great photo opportunities.
- place to marvel at a vast wilderness.
- challenging outdoor experience and enjoyment.
- in fall observe northern lights!
- All transportation described in this itinerary
- Hotel in Whitehorse
- Accommodation in cabins outside of Haines Junction
- All meals during the camping / hiking trip
- Professional guide services for the duration of the trip
- All necessary equipment for the hiking trip
- Park fees and admissions
- Nature Interpretation
- Trip cancellation, travel and medical insurance
- Meals in Whitehorse and on the road
- Additional cost for single accommodation
- Sightseeing flight in Haines Junction
- Items of personal nature and souvenirs
We offer services in English and German
|Regions: Kluane, Whitehorse Region||Communities: Beaver Creek, Burwash Landing, Destruction Bay, Haines Junction, Whitehorse|
|Categories: Northern Lights Viewing, Travel Agents and Tour Operators, Wilderness Parks, Day Trips, Wildlife Viewing|